Taco Veggie Pizza

Pin It

IMG_6053-001

So are you getting ready to make your favorite appetizers, dips and treats for the “big game” this weekend?  Here is a perfect addition to your list that won’t break the calorie budget, plus the serving is huge! I just love it!  I had this yummy satisfying pizza yesterday for lunch, great for a meal too! Wow all the exclamation points, can you tell I get really excited about this recipe!!! Smile    I will have to say I am a bit proud of this recipe and I hope you get to try it!

IMG_6051

I don’t know about you but I am struggling a bit with getting in adequate veggies each day this week.  Really . . . a dietitian having trouble eating veggies?  I will have to say I am a very normal (not sure if normal can be defined) human being that just loves food and . . . wants it be healthy 80% of the time, the other 20% of my food is set aside for my indulgences: cappuccinos, chips, cookies, etc.  

This is pizza is very kid-friendly.  My two-and-half-year-old devoured this pizza right up.  Let me remind you he was asking for chocolate at the time, the kid really tests me!  Even in the morning when he gets up he will say, “Mommy, I want chocolate (or candy)!”  I say how about some blueberries!  He says, ‘NO MOMMY! CHOCOLATE!”  I search for other options  . . . ah-ha . . . ooooh, look at this pizza!  He almost bit my finger off when I gave him a bite.  Whew, food challenge #34 diverted!

 

So we start off with some 100% whole wheat Flatout flatbread. 

IMG_6014

Place on a baking sheet, or in my case a pizza pan and drizzle with oil and toast in the oven.

IMG_6017

Look, I found an olive oil/canola oil blend!  Great price and great for baking too!

IMG_6019

Now if you have had vegetable pizza, remember there is a large creamy cream cheese filling?  So we substitute and use nonfat Greek yogurt! Personally I like 2% reduced fat Greek yogurt but this was what I could find.

IMG_6024

Next add taco seasoning to the yogurt and combine well.

IMG_6027

Don’t worry if you have extra taco seasoned yogurt, use the extras for a Mexican-style baked potato!  Use leftover toppings below, too. What a great idea, I will do that later this week!

IMG_6031

Here are the pizza toppings! I like to add peppers and broccoli too but I was out.   Here we have chopped green onions, chopped cauliflower, spicy arugula mixed with some ice berg lettuce (trying to use both up) and diced cherry tomatoes.

IMG_6033

Our flatbreads are nice and crispy!  I also used this crispy flatbread as a dipper from Monday’s post  Hearty Guacamole!  What a great way to have crispy chips with the proper portion size!

IMG_6040

Spread taco seasoned Greek yogurt mixture onto the flatbread.

IMG_6042

Now it is time to top with veggies and cheese, oh and I totally forgot in the picture but drizzle some taco sauce or even salsa on top of the pizza and you have a winner!

IMG_6048

 

This is just fantastic and I hope you enjoy this hearty, filling, yet satisfying recipe!  I don’t like to call it healthy because once you tell your guests it is healthy they will think it is bland and will not taste good, so I disregard in calling it healthy, ha . . . maybe it’s just good-for-you-food that by the way just tastes AMAZING!

IMG_6053-001

 

 

 

Taco Veggie Pizza

Serves 2.

Ingredients

2 whole grain tortilla

1 tsp olive oil

6 oz Greek yogurt

2 tbsp reduced-sodium taco seasoning

1 tomato, chopped

1 cup chopped broccoli or cauliflower

1 cup shredded lettuce

1/4 cup shredded cheese

taco sauce or salsa, optional

 

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Place tortillas on baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until crisp.  Mix together yogurt and taco seasoning.  Spread yogurt mixture onto tortillas and top with vegetables, cheese and sauce or salsa. 

Nutrition Facts: 260 calories; 30g carbohydrates; 5 g fiber; 8 g fat; 8 g protein; 360 mg sodium; 4 g sugar

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tagged: , , ,

Comments are closed.