When life gets stressful or hectic what are some of the first things that fall at the bottom of the priority list? House chores? Laundry? Dishes? Or maybe you may not realize it but how about your diet?
When there is stress in your life, it does many things to your body including the following involving nutrition:
- accelerate excretion of crucial nutrients
- usually increases appetite – higher fat or higher sugar foods, unfortunately
- increases the need for nutrients
- impairs immunity
Wow, that is huge! Who knew stress can affect your diet so much!
Now, how can you help manage your diet during these stressful times?
Couple things to think about –
- Don’t skip meals – you may find yourself over indulging at the end of the day!
- Plan your meals – make the meal preparation less stressful! It may be having some chicken breasts in the crock-pot or pick up a rotisserie chicken from the market. Have a simple game plan of meals for the week.
- Go for good carbs – whole grains! Too many refined carbs can send your hormones in havoc!
If you are aware of what is happening to you body, you might be more susceptible to make simple changes?