Monday Motivation – Get your rest!
After a long weekend, nobody wants to hear that annoying sound come Monday morning – the alarm clock! Getting adequate rest is extremely important not only to reenergize your body but also to help you lose weight and decrease your risk for heart disease! That is right getting 8 hours of sleep each night can help the body produce helpful hormones that increase the metabolic burn and regulate hypertension.
Not getting enough sleep will cause the body to also increase appetite, therefore causing you to eat more and is definitely not a good combination when you are awake more hours.
Here is some more info on why it is important to get your zzzzzz’s.
The Harvard Women’s Health Watch suggests six reasons to get enough sleep:
- Learning and memory: Sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory through a process called memory consolidation. In studies, people who’d slept after learning a task did better on tests later.
- Metabolism and weight: Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates, and by altering levels of hormones that affect our appetite.
- Safety: Sleep debt contributes to a greater tendency to fall asleep during the daytime. These lapses may cause falls and mistakes such as medical errors, air traffic mishaps, and road accidents.
- Mood: Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience, inability to concentrate, and moodiness. Too little sleep can also leave you too tired to do the things you like to do.
- Cardiovascular health: Serious sleep disorders have been linked to hypertension, increased stress hormone levels, and irregular heartbeat.
- Disease: Sleep deprivation alters immune function, including the activity of the body’s killer cells. Keeping up with sleep may also help fight cancer.