Pepperoni Calzones – A winner for dinner tonight!
What is for dinner tonight? That is always the million dollar question of the day but let me help you out tonight! How about pepperoni calzones? Super simple, lower in fat and gain all the whole-grain goodness!
Plus these little rolls come in pre-shaped frozen dough balls so the portion size is already done for you! Plus if you make only one and leave the rest in the freezer – you will only eat one!
You can even thrown in some veggies in as well – be creative!
Below I have used turkey pepperoni – yes a little bit higher in sodium but it gives you the real-deal for pepperoni. Personally, I like the turkey pepperoni better, not as greasy.
The multi-grain rolls are fabulous! They also provide a good source of fiber! They also have cracked wheat if you are scared of the seeds. Pair your calzone up with some nice veggies or a salad and dinner is done in no time!
Serves 4. Source: Stacy Mitchell, RD, LD
4 frozen multi-grain rolls, thawed
1 cup pizza sauce, divided
32 turkey pepperoni slices, divided
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. On a countertop sprinkled with flour, roll out each biscuit to a 4-by-3-inch oval. Place about 1/4 cup sauce on one side of each biscuit.
3. Add pepperoni slices and shredded cheese on top of the sauce.
4. Fold the other side of the roll over the filling to cover it.
5. Firmly press the edges of the dough together with a fork to seal the dough.
6. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes or until brown.
Daily nutritional values:
15% vitamin A, 8% vitamin C, 20% calcium, 10% iron
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories: 280, Carbohydrate: 32 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Fat: 9 g, Protein: 15 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Sodium: 830 mg, Sugar: 7 g