Of course a healthy diet (low in saturated fat, trans fat free and high in fiber) is always essential but there are certain foods that contain plant sterols to help lower cholesterol even more. Plant sterols are found naturally in foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole-grains, nuts and seeds. But manufacturers are fortifying foods with even more plant sterols than you would find naturally in foods.
The National Cholesterol Education Program recommends consuming 2 grams of plant sterols daily. Plant sterols may reduce LDL cholesterol by 5– 15% in correlation with a low saturated fat diet. This can even lead to a 25% reduction in heart disease risk.
Here are some food that have added plant sterol:
- Corazonas Heart-Healthy tortilla and potato chips
- Centrum Cardio multi-vitamin
- Kashi Heart to Heart whole grain crackers with plant sterols
- Kardea nutrition bars
- Minute Maid Heart Wise orange juice
- Silk Heart Health soy milk
- Promise active margarine spreads
Here are some really good tortilla chips and potato chips! Very delicious – my favorite is the potato chips with Italiano Cheese!