I have made many pasta salad recipes but none of them beat this recipe! I have even tried to cheat a bit with this recipe and just use Italian dressing but it just didn’t cut it.
I have had many people try the recipe and even say – I NEVER eat vegetables but I ate this salad all up! The other nice thing about this recipe is – you can throw in any veggies or even beans in the salad that you have in your pantry. Many times on day number 2 with this recipe, there tends to be more dressing than salad, so I have just thrown in left-over veggies, such as fresh broccoli or garbanzo beans which was wonderful!
Notice there is also edamame (\ˌe-də-ˈmä-mā\. Edamame are immature soybeans, loaded with protein, fiber and even some omega-3s! They may look similar to a lima bean but they do not taste like them, so don’t turn away just yet. They have a light flavor and very yummy to add to soups, pasta dishes and more. I love them!
Zesty Pasta Salad
Source. Stacy Mitchell, RD, LD Serves 18 (1/2-cup servings)
All You Need:
16 ounces Hodgson Mills Organic whole-wheat milled flaxseed , uncooked
2 whole green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 large cucumber
1 bag Cascadian Farms edamame
1 jar (8 oz) pimientos, chopped
1/2 cup granulated sugar (may use sugar substitute if desired – I have used Truvia or Purvia which was great!)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
All You Do:
1. Cook rotini pasta according to package directions until tender. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, chop green pepper. Cut cucumber in fourths lengthwise and then into 1/4-inch-wide slices.
3. Combine cooked pasta, edamame, green pepper, cucumber and pimiento.
4. In separate bowl, mix together sugar, oil, vinegar, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper and salt. Mix thoroughly.
5. Pour dressing mixture over pasta/vegetable mixture.
6. Chill for 3 hours in refrigerator before serving.
7. Store salad in refrigerator.
8. Serves 18.
Daily nutritional values:
10% vitamin A, 45% vitamin C, 2% calcium, 8% iron
Nutrition information per serving:
180 calories, 5g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 37g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 7g sugar, 7g protein.