Another way to eat your veggie! These are delightful!
Baked Veggie Crunchers
Source: Stacy Mitchell, RD, LD
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup crushed All Bran garlic and herb crackers
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into half-inch strips
- ½ jicama, peeled and cut into thin sticks (keep very thin – otherwise they don’t taste good)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into half-inch strips
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Set up three shallow dishes on the counter: Place about a cup of flour in one dish. In the next dish, beat the eggs. In the last dish, combine cracker crumbs with grated cheese.
- Coat the veggies in flour, then egg mixture, then breadcrumb mixture, pressing to set coating. Spray non-stick cooking spray over breaded veggies (this helps give them an extra crisp). Halfway through baking, toss veggies and continue to bake until golden brown and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
The red pepper sticks are my favorite! Yummy! This would go perfectly with a low-fat ranch dip or even ketchup.
This would be my top pick for dressing Bolthouse Farms Ranch Yogurt dressing.
Ever try jicama? Pronunciation: \ˈhē-kə-mə\
This root vegetable is a great source of vitamin C. It is known as the “Mexican potato” and considered to be a cross between an apple and a potato. Just peel like a potato and chop into matchstick size pieces. Wonderful raw on top of salads instead of croutons! I have sampled this for many kids events and they love it. I had one kid keep coming back and every time I see him he always asks “Got any more jicama?”