Are you ever confused when you look at a nutrition facts label?
This is a great example from http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/ConsumerInformation/ucm078889.htm on the breakdown of a food label.
Quick points to remember:
- Always look at serving size and serving size per container! (Did you know a frozen pot-pie will usually serve 2!!! – who will eat just half? aaahhhh!)
- No more than 20% of saturated fat and sodium
- Keep trans fat to as low as possible. Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. The American Heart Association recommends less than 2 grams of trans fats a day. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3045792
- Go for fiber! Shoot for 25 to 35 grams a day!
- Go nutrients! Always nice to obtain essential nutrients to keep your body healthy!