Broccoli Slaw with Toasted Walnuts
1 cup mayonnaise (low-fat is okay)
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
6 cups (1 – 1 1/4 lbs.) broccoli florets, cut or broken in half-inch pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped, toasted California walnuts
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- In a large bowl combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, and stir until smoothly blended.
- Blanche the broccoli for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, cranberries, raisins, walnuts and carrot, then stir and toss until the ingredients are evenly coated with the dressing.
- Chill before serving.
- Calories: 222 Total Fat: 10.5 g Saturated Fat: 1.5 g Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 6.5 g Trans Fat g Cholesterol: 7.5 mg Sodium: 368 mg Total Carbohydrate: 32 g Dietary Fiber: 3 g Protein: 3 g
Enjoy Heart-Healthy Walnuts
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved a qualified health claim for walnuts in March 2004.1
- If you don’t want to enjoy walnuts because they are too high in calories well in 2009, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published the heart health benefits of walnuts from several trials, finding that walnuts provided significant benefits for certain antioxidants, inflammatory markers and had no adverse effects on body weight.